Go jump in the bailer. I'll push the button.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

In Idaho, if you're older than twelve years old and are not married with children, you are gay. You think I'm kidding. It's true. When I first moved here and started work, people looked at me like I was a freak because I didn't have a husband and/or children. Seriously, they stopped what they were doing and just looked at me. Yes, it's possible to move across the country without a husband, believe me.

A couple people at work just assumed that I'm gay because I work in grocery with a bunch of men and can lift heavy objects and am able to use industrial equipment. Now, I'm not the most girly of girls but I'm definitely don't look butch either. I should take their assumptions with a grain of salt because these people are complete idiots in every aspect, not just determining sexuality. I've been working at my current store for over a year now, so I thought that everyone had me "figured out". Not true. Just today the service deli manager saw my engagement ring and flipped out. She didn't know I was engaged, didn't know I was dating anyone, and didn't know that I was a hetero. She told me she thought I was gay because I never talked about dating anyone. I never talk to this chick because I do not like her and therefore am not going to strike up conversation for the hell of it.

What I really what to do is rent an advertising billboard. On that billboard it will say "THEY'RE ARE MORE THINGS TO DO IN LIFE THAN GET MARRIED AND HAVE BABIES. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GAY". Now, I know that's a bit weird coming out of my mouth since I'm about to get married and am likely to have a child in the future. I just want the people in Idaho to know that there are many paths to take in life. You do not have to pop out a progeny first. People! Come on! Jeez!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM , Blogger andrea said...

    it's not just idaho, believe me! ugh. i bet men don't get that kind of assumption put on them just because they are single and childless.

    welcome to blogger!! yay!

     
  • At 10:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i hear ya! just yesterday a mother said she was concerned that her sons would never marry....they were 29 and 27! that's young! no one gets married before 30 anymore.

     
  • At 1:48 PM , Blogger adam said...

    CONGRATS CASAFRASS!

     
  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger adam said...

    are you going to ever post another blog?!?!?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home